Polymorphism: Ability of a material to exist in more than one form or crystal structure
- BaTiO3, TiO2, ZrO2 etc. exhibit polymorphism
- Allotropism is exclusively used for chemical elements exhibiting more than one form or crystal structure.
- C, Fe, Zn etc. exhibit allotropism
In this section, we discuss SnTiO3 polymorphs.
- SnTiO3 (similar to PbTiO3), is a binary oxide material
- Ti4+ ions are octahedrally coordinated with O2- ions
- SnTiO3 polymorphs are categorized based on TiO6 octahedral connections